Dancing with Trees: Eco-tales of the British Isles
A sample story pdf, The Sunken Palace – Ireland The Sunken Palace
You can find another story from the book at The Earth Stories Collection: St Brigid and the Wolf
Here is the article I published in Reforesting Scotland in 2018 about one of the stories included in Dancing with Trees: Eco-tales of the British Isles: Reforesting Scotland article Spring/Summer 2018 (Issue 57)
A printable pdf of a ‘pesticide-free’ sign for your garden, with art from the book by the fabulous Tessa Wyatt: Garden sign
Looking for a seasonal tale? Here are some suggestions with links to some of the stories listed.
On World Storytelling Day 2019, we launched our pilot Google Earth Tour of the places in Scotland associated with the stories in our book. You can access the Google Earth Tour here: Tour Builder
Helpful hints for the tour: you’ll need to use Google Chrome to access Google Earth and you’ll need to actually choose to ‘Open in Earth’ from the drop-down menu top right corner.
Research on storytelling ethics and social transformation
Open access versions of the academic research publications listed below can be accessed here: Research Explorer
- ‘Reading Ecological Memoirs: the emotional and conversational context of transformation’. Alette Willis, chapter in Storytelling and Sustainability edited by Molthan-Hill, Petra; Luna, Heather; Wall, Tony; Baden, Denise. and Puntha, Helen. Routledge. (2020)
- ‘Science Communication – embedding stories in every science degree’ Alette Willis, chapter in Storytelling and Sustainability edited by Molthan-Hill, Petra; Luna, Heather; Wall, Tony; Baden, Denise. and Puntha, Helen. Routledge. (2020)
- ‘Conversations in the Wildwood: Narrators, Readers and the Rise of the Ecological Self.’ Alette Willis. Environmental Education Research, 25.3 (2019): 443-457.
- ‘Reading John Muir’s Life: changing children’s attitudes through a graphic novel’,. Alette Willis and Franziska Schmidt. Environmental Education Research, 24.7 (2018).
- ‘Engaging with a History of Counselling, Spirituality and Faith in Scotland: A Readers’ Theatre Script.’ Alette Willis, Liz Bondi, MaryCatherine Burgess, Gavin Miller, David Fergusson. British Journal of Guidance and Counselling 42.5 (2014).
- ‘Bearing Witness: Re-storying the Self in Places that are Always More than Human Made.’ Alette Willis. Animal Studies Journal, 2.1 (2013): 8-27.
- ‘Constructing a story to live by: Ethics, emotions and academic practice in the context of climate change.’ Alette Willis. Emotion, Space and Society 5 (2012): 52-59.
- ‘Re-storying wilderness and adventure therapies: healing places and selves in an era of environmental crises.’ Alette Willis. Journal of Adventure Education and Outdoor Learning 11.2 (2011): 91-108.
- ‘Restorying the Self, Restoring Place: Healing through Grief in Everyday Places.’ Alette Willis. Emotion, Space and Society 2.2 (2009).