From January to June 2022, I headed up a small research project into looking at how storytelling can help to shift people, organisations and communities towards net-zero ways of living. This research was supported by a grant from the British Academy, who will be using the findings of the 9 projects on the Shared Understandings of a Sustainable Future Programme to inform policy at all levels about the social and cultural aspects of moving towards a liveable future. For more information on this project and what we found out, please click the button below
Open access versions of the academic research publications listed below can be accessed here: Research Explorer
- ‘Reading Ecological Memoirs: the emotional and conversational context of transformation’. Alette Willis, chapter in Storytelling and Sustainability edited by Molthan-Hill, Petra; Luna, Heather; Wall, Tony; Baden, Denise. and Puntha, Helen. Routledge. (2020)
- ‘Science Communication – embedding stories in every science degree’ Alette Willis, chapter in Storytelling and Sustainability edited by Molthan-Hill, Petra; Luna, Heather; Wall, Tony; Baden, Denise. and Puntha, Helen. Routledge. (2020)
- ‘Conversations in the Wildwood: Narrators, Readers and the Rise of the Ecological Self.’ Alette Willis. Environmental Education Research, 25.3 (2019): 443-457.
- ‘Reading John Muir’s Life: changing children’s attitudes through a graphic novel’,. Alette Willis and Franziska Schmidt. Environmental Education Research, 24.7 (2018).
- ‘Engaging with a History of Counselling, Spirituality and Faith in Scotland: A Readers’ Theatre Script.’ Alette Willis, Liz Bondi, MaryCatherine Burgess, Gavin Miller, David Fergusson. British Journal of Guidance and Counselling 42.5 (2014).
- ‘Bearing Witness: Re-storying the Self in Places that are Always More than Human Made.’ Alette Willis. Animal Studies Journal, 2.1 (2013): 8-27.
- ‘Constructing a story to live by: Ethics, emotions and academic practice in the context of climate change.’ Alette Willis. Emotion, Space and Society 5 (2012): 52-59.
- ‘Re-storying wilderness and adventure therapies: healing places and selves in an era of environmental crises.’ Alette Willis. Journal of Adventure Education and Outdoor Learning 11.2 (2011): 91-108.
- ‘Restorying the Self, Restoring Place: Healing through Grief in Everyday Places.’ Alette Willis. Emotion, Space and Society 2.2 (2009).